Ice Skating at Winter Wonderland 2014 / Hyde Park


This time of year can make people feel excited and giddy, either because of the lights and music or the stress of Christmas. I experienced this Christmas stress last weekend at Winter Wonderland at Hyde Park. This was my second time at Winter Wonderland, having gone for the first time last year and it was one of the busiest places I have ever been to. Worst than last year.

As I battled my way through the crowds to make my ice skating time slot; I swerved round super slow moving people, crowds walking in to each other and people who would suddenly stop in front of you. As you can guess, I hate slow people and big crowds.


The ice skating was great and I spent most of the time laughing at Nathan's bambi legs, whilst building his confidence. The ice skaters were serenaded by a singer with a beautiful voice, based in the centre of the rink. Normally I go to Somerset House's ice rink as it has a magical setting and sponsorship this year from Fortnum and Mason. However this is a great ice rink too if you can handle the crowds.

Afterwards I browsed the stalls and German sausage places for sauerkraut and mulled wine. You can't have a traditional German bratwurst without the pickled cabbage delicacy! The Bavarian hall which offered everything German, including bands, food and beer was pretty packed too and hard to find a place to sit.


If your planning a trip today or on Sunday, the Winter Wonderland website states that this will be an extremely busy period with most activities already booked up. Make sure you book in advance if you want to ice skate, visit the circuses or see the Magical Ice Kingdom.

It was way too crowded for my liking. Maybe next time I will go to the new Christmas extravaganza, Winterville in Victoria Park.

Selfridges window display

Having a browse on Oxford Street afterwards, I was excited to see the famous window display at Selfridges. However I'm not sure what to think of it. I expected something extravagant and unique, however it didn't give off an air of magic for me. Some of it was great though such as the large gold goose which reminded me of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the feathered bird headresses and the mermaid length flowing hair in rainbow colours.




Follow me on

2 comments:

  1. Skating in style :D That coat is wicked! I don't think I've skated on ice since I was 12. I suck really bad at it, you see..

    - Anna

    www.melodicthriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha practise makes perfect, you should get back on the ice!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.