Ten Favourite Horror Films!

Watch some of my top horrors this week!

I hope you had a great Halloween! Being a big horror fan, this is my favourite time of the year and to celebrate I've compiled my ten favourite horror films. I found it hard to choose a favourite so this list is in no particular order and I've also added a special mentions list. I've seen quite a few horror films, but if you have any that you recommend comment below!


IMDB Rating: 6.6 rating

One of my top favourite horror films! Silent Hill is a mish mash of contemporary horror, with an amazing classic horror ending of gore and a dramatic organ soundtrack. I've not played the video game so I can't compare, but the masked guy with the abnormally huge knife is one of the scariest horror characters I've ever seen.

IMDB Rating: 7.2 rating

I saw The Babdook in the cinema last week and it totally lived up to my expectations. I witnessed a horror with a great storyline, strong believable characters and genuinely scary moments. I look forward to seeing more from director Jennifer Kent.

IMDB Rating: 7.5 rating

A true story loosely based on the case studies of real life husband and wife psychic investigator team, the Warrens. Possession films are churned out every year with the same plots and cheap thrills. The Conjuring has some jumpy moments and the fact that its based on a true story, makes it even more frightening. Watch the extended trailer to catch a glimpse of the real life family that went through this terrible ordeal.

IMDB Rating: 6.5

Tense French thriller Ils will frighten you as it's something that could happen to anyone. You will probably stay clear hoodie wearing teenagers after watching this. Avoid Hollywood remake 'The Strangers'.

IMDB Rating: 6.3

There is a lack of decent alien abduction movies and this is one of the best! Staying away from the usual forest scenario, the film centres on a family who's everyday life becomes a nightmare. I'm always on a hunt to find new alien abduction films, if you can recommended any let me know! 

IMDB Rating: 7.5 / 6.6

Leading the way through a hoard of hand held camera horrors, Rec delivers a smart realistic film that slowly reveals the twist.

IMDB Rating: 7.3

An annual caving trip for a group of women, takes a turn for the worst. A great unnerving story that connects with its characters and will put you off wandering in to dark spaces in the woods.

IMDB Rating: 5.8 / 6.1

These recent films have redefined the horror genre and thrown something different in to the mix. The VHS films may not be everyone's taste, but I love the mixed short stories strung together by a loose narrative of found VHS footage. Best stories include the last tape on the first VHS, where a group of guys head to a Hallowren party; also the alien tape on VHS 2. 

IMDB Rating: 8.0

I only saw the film for the first time a few years ago, but instantly loved it. The Exorcist is the orignal horror and still the best possession movie. 

IMDB Rating: 7.5

I remember watching this as a four year old and have been obsessed with Freddy Krueger ever since. Its's probably the reason why I'm still afraid of the dark now as an adult. One of the scenes in the beginning you see Freddy running down the street, it's hilarious!

IMDB Rating: 6.1

I didn't expect much before watching this and was pleasantly surprised. Absolutely loved the concept and is something I would recommend you watching this weekend. Urban explorers beware...

SPECIAL MENTIONS:

IMDB Rating: 6.5

With a slow atmospheric build up, Ti West creates an eerie movie that relies on tension with a great final pay off.

IMDB Rating: 6.6

The less you know about this film the better! Certainly not what you expect...

IMDB Rating: 7.1

In my eyes, Pinhead provided the best Halloween costume idea.

IMDB Rating: 7.3

I'm a big Lars Von Trier fan and think he can do no wrong. If you love experimental art house films you will love the directors work. On the other hand, if you are not as open minded as you would like to be, stay away from this thrilling shocker.

IMDB Rating: 6.8

Great concept for a horror movie, but falls short on the last half of the film. Nevertheless it's a film I've enjoyed many times. Check out the sequel too.


Follow me on

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.